Sunday, September 30, 2012



This past week has just gone by so fast.  Tuesday was the SMs town day.  We went to Matubas, which is a type of market.  Katie describes it as a “Goodwill on steroroids” and that is a fairly accurate description.  So while we were there I was looking for some skirts to wear for teaching.  Between the lack of driers here, all the running I have been doing, and the lack of preservatives in the food here I have lost some weight and my dress pants are pretty much falling off of me.  I don’t know how to describe this market except to say that it’s a bunch of little booth type things with different tent-type covers over them.  So while Katie, Emily, and I are standing there looking at some skirts it starts to rain.  We are all crowding together trying to get out of the rain a little more and under the shelter of the tarp and so the ladies that owned this particular one called us up into their spots and we sat with them.  While we were there the lady kept pulling out skirt after skirt for us to try.  I think that each of us left with two skirts after the rain had passed but while we were there we had a blast getting to know these two ladies.  I also almost fell through a hole in the stand.  It was a great time!
            Now I tell all of my students that I will be at the school until 5 pm every day so if they need help with their homework they need to come back and I can help them figure it out.  So on Thursday this week I was at the school a little bit later than that.  I walked home around 5:30.  As I got close to my house all three of my 6th graders ran out to meet me.  I laughed and asked if they needed help and how long they had been sitting outside my house.  I then told them that I would only help them if they helped me and handed them some of the stuff that I had been carrying because I had been about to drop it.  They all agreed and so they came in and we worked on math homework at my kitchen table. 
Now all the SM ladies here live in two different houses that are across the street from each other and we pretty much come and go from each other’s houses as we please.  So while I have my three 6th graders sitting at the kitchen table three of the other SMs come running in the house yelling and pulling at their clothes.  I yell out to them that I have kids in the house and they need to run into one of the rooms if they are going to strip.  They had apparently gotten into some safari ants, and they are quite vicious.  I got quite a laugh out of the looks on my kids’ faces after that whole episode.  A few minutes later I left the room and returned in time to hear Amber telling Larissa that, “boys will be boys no matter how old they grow”.  The two girls are just sitting there shaking their heads and Kingsley is looking like he does not know what to make of anything that had just happened.  It was all quite amusing.
Yesterday was great!  Tanzi and I taught Sabbath school.  It was about Daniel 10 this week and I think that it went really well!  I have been enjoying teaching Sabbath school to the high schoolers and we got some pretty good discussions going today!  Then this afternoon we went to an orphanage to play with the kids.  As we were getting ready to leave Hadassah suggested that I go and get some stickers and bring them.  The kids just loved that!
When we got to the orphanage the students did a little program for the kids.  We sang some songs and there was a short skit of David and Goliath and then we played some games with the kids.  The stickers were a huge hit and the kids just loved them!  I ended up being covered with stickers and so did most of the kids.  It was so great to spend that time with the kids.  They were all so cute and seemed so happy!  Going to that orphanage and spending the time with the kids just made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment