Sunday, January 27, 2013

Back to School!


    Well the first week back at school flew by!  I am so incredibly happy to have all my kids back. Monday afternoon three of my students came by the classroom and helped me get the last few things ready before classes started Tuesday morning.  On Tuesday they all came in and I got to talk to each one about what they did over the break.  For most of them the answer was, “I went to my country.”  Most of my students are the children of either ADRA workers or people that work for the division and so they are from all over and do a lot of traveling.

    We had a really fun week!  After having a whole month off of school, we had to review just about everything.  We spent the first bit of class time going over our classroom procedures and what is and is not appropriate.  For example, I let my kids stand up at their desk most of the time if they choose to do so.  So one of the things that we had to review was what is and is not ok while they are standing up at their desks.  They enjoyed demonstrating for each other different things that are and are not acceptable.

    During English class I think my second graders had ants in their pants.  They could not sit still!  So we all stood up for our review game.   I would say a word and if it was a verb they had to stand up on their chairs.  If it was a noun they had to sit down.  They were all giggles at that point and for the rest of the day two of them walked around telling me what words were verbs and what words were nouns in every sentence they spoke.

    We are doing a little project over the next month.  Each of my kids had to set a goal and we are monitoring their progress.  Each week they report to me if they feel they have made any steps toward accomplishing their goal.  If yes, they get a sticker.  If they have not made any progress, they have to tell me in writing how they intend to fix that in the coming week.  Some of them are really excited and have already asked if we can keep going after this month.  Others however, are still needing a little motivation.

    In less than a month we will be taking the high school and climbing Mt. Kenya.  Today was the first of four prep hikes intended to get these kids ready for the four day backpacking trip.  We left the school at 7:30 am to head to Mt. Longonot.  The hike was about 13 k and the highest point was somewhere around 10.000 ft.  It ended up taking us 6 hours. 

    I was asked to bring up the rear for our little excursion.  The back of the line is a really interesting place to be.  When I go hiking, I tend to end up in the front of the line and depending on the pace of the group I may be quite a ways ahead.  The back of the line moves a lot slower.  Many of our kids are not used to things like this and they are not really in the best shape physically, and so today was quite a challenge.

    Less than one hour into the hike, we had girls trying to sit down every five minutes.  Telling them that stopping only makes you more tired did nothing to keep them going.  I literally held the hands of different girls on several occasions and half dragged them up the hills.  I had a few sit down and tell me that they were done, that they would not go any farther.  They would say, “Ms. I cant do anymore.  I am not going to do this.”  My response was, “I know that your tired and I know that it hurts.  I am sorry but there is no longer an option here.  You have to keep going.”

We did end up making it to the top.  Seeing how excited they were and hearing them say, “Thank you Ms. Melissa.  I could not have done it without you” was pretty great.  Today, those girls learned that you can do hard things and that sometimes you just have to keep on putting one foot in front of the other.  I strongly believe that we do not put enough value on physical and outdoor education.  In things like climbing a mountain, there are so many life lessons.  I think that we all need to get outside more and we need to do things that push our limits.  We need to do the hard things.  The view from the top is absolutely worth it.

Success!  The hardest part is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment