Friday, November 2, 2012

11/03/12


Before I left for Africa a friend and returning SM said to me that, “mission work really is just life in another country.”  I did not really think much of the comment then, but in the last few months it has come to mind several times.  The truth in that statement hits me occasionally and I just have to laugh.  It is amazing to me how quickly we adapt and how quickly things become normal.  The novelty of something new and different quickly becomes normal, and what was once foreign becomes so typical. 
Now here at Maxwell, we have it pretty good.  I have hot, running water (as long as I remember to turn on the water heater).  I live in a gated and guarded community about a half an hour from the largest city in East Africa.  I eat most of my meals in the school cafeteria and spend a good portion of my days in my little classroom that is hardly a three-minute walk from my house.
One thing that constantly puzzles me about Africa are the apparent contradictions that I see all the time.  On the walk to Roungi I will see Land Rovers and BMWs go flying by me on one side and on the other side of me will be a little kid in tattered and dirty clothes walking to school.  I will see one person in a suit walking around talking on their I phone and then a few minutes later see an old man beating his donkey trying to get it to stop.  Yes, the beat the donkeys to make them go and to make them stop.  I am yet to figure out how the donkey knows what it is supposed to do.  The one that really gets me is when you pass by the grocery store and there are chickens wandering around the parking lot or cows just taking a nap in one of the parking spaces.  All of these things, when I first got here were just astounding to me and I was constantly shocked at some of the things that I saw.
Earlier this week there was an old man and his donkey walking with a cart full of water I am assuming for his family.  He was struggling to make it up the hill.  The water cart, the man, and the donkey were all sliding backwards down the hill.  I quickly ran over to help him push his cart up the hill.  As I was pushing and struggling to help him make it to the top of the hill I was thinking about how easy it is for me to get water.  Here at the school we have water filters built into the sinks and I am able to fill up my water bottle several times a day and yet within walking distance of my home this man is struggling to get water home.  These are some of the contradictions of Africa.
Yesterday was Friday and we had a half-day of classes.  So after classes Tanzi, Emily and I walked into Roungi to some of the markets there.  These markets are just so great!  They are extremely crowded and you never know what you will find there.  The stands are extremely close together.  At the various stands you will find fruits and veggies for very cheap.  Ever wonder what happens to all the clothes that people donate for kids in other countries?  Well, they a lot of them end up in the markets in Africa.  It is so funny to me to dig through some of these piles and find all kinds of brand name clothing from the states being sold. 
Now in the markets, if you are not really interested in buying something you better not stop for too long or you will be attacked.  Not literally.  But if you look at one thing for too long it means you are very interested and the person owning that particular stand or shop will take that as an encouragement.  They will pick up the object and start talking about how nice it is and how they will give you a good price (which if you are white is about three times what you should actually pay for it).  If it is an article of clothing watch out!  They will try to put it on you.  And if it does not go on easily, that is not much of a deterrent.  They can make it fit! This can be extremely entertaining, as long as you are not the one being shoved into a dress. 
It struck me again yesterday as we were riding a crowded Matatu (a form of public transportation in Kenya) back to the school how funny all of this is.  I have grown pretty accustomed to being stared at.  It hardly phases me anymore.  It does not surprise me to see animals in the most random places.  Seeing large spiders and lizards crawling around in my house is normal (although almost stepping on a tarantula in my room at 5 AM this week did phase me a bit).  My mom e-mailed me again and reminded me that I need to post.  I really struggled to figure out what to talk about because its just life.  I don’t have any amazing stories to tell right now.  I teach and I love it. These kids make me think and daily they teach me far more than I think I am able to teach them.  But then I remember what life was like back home and realize that while to me this is just life, but to my family and friends at home it is still foreign and strange.  So this is a little taste of  some of my adventures in Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment